Sunday, October 21, 2012

Minestrone Soup

I first tasted this at my grandmother's house. My grandma is an amazing cook; everything she touches turns to culinary gold. Hearty and healthy, this soup keeps both my man and me happy.



  • 1/2 lb mild Italian sausage
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 med onions
  • 1 bell pepper
  • 1 quart diced tomatoes
  • 3 c beef broth (leftover gravy + water is delicious)
  • 1 1/2 c water
  • 3 T parsley
  • 1/2 t sweet basil
  • one 15 oz. can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2+ carrots, diced
  • 2+ celery ribs, diced
  • 1 c dry pasta 
  • parmesan cheese, for garnish
In a 6 quart sauce pan brown sausage, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Add tomatoes, beef broth, water, parsley, and sweet basil. Simmer at least 30 minutes. (If you make a double batch or have a small family, freeze the extra here.) Cook the pasta according to package directions. Add beans, veggies, and cooked pasta. Slice up some home-made wheat bread and go to town!

Note: Feel free to add veggies. We have also done zucchini and yellow crook-necked squash with success. Veggies stretch your soup and add extra delicious nutrition. Yum! Also, I always try and taste my soup before it is served so I know what it needs. Sometimes I add extra boullion, salt, or black pepper. And sometimes I don't. 

2 comments:

  1. What does Mark think of everything you've been eating getting its picture taken? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, he is happy with anything that makes me happy! Good man.

      Delete